People Checked out This Gnarley Blog Life or Something Like It: Remembering...

Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering...

Five years ago, right about this time of day, I stood in front of the television along with the rest of America. With a feeling of sheer helplessness, I stood there watching the destruction of the first World Trade Center tower. While the cameras were rolling, capturing the already surreal footage of that horiffic day, we see another plane come into the frame and watch in disbelief as it tears into the second tower. We begin to hear reports of other rogue planes, in Pennsylvania, at the Pentagon.

Like most everyone else I'm sure, there were a million thoughts rolling around in my head; wondering what's coming next, where will the next strike be, who is responsible, why did this happen. I worked the rest of the day, helping to preserve the event for future generations at our small local newspaper, with an overwhelming need to be close to my friends and family. I remember going home to stand in an embrace with my then fiance for several minutes, drinking in the warmth and solace it provided but wondering how many people would not get that same comfort.

East Texas is just about as far away from New York as you can get, but the impact was deep and widespread and felt by many. Months and years later, the stories of the men and women killed on this day still make my heart ache. I know there will be a deluge of 9/11 stories today, I just wanted to share some of the feelings I experienced on that day. I would love to hear yours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Personal Blogs -  Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine Blogarama - The Blog Directory