People Checked out This Gnarley Blog Life or Something Like It: Birds and rabbits and deer, oh my...

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Birds and rabbits and deer, oh my...

This morning, as I opened the front door and headed out to my car, I noticed several black crows in the road in front of my house. I thought to myself, "Now, that can't be a good sign," in my usual pessimistic mood. I traveled the black top roads on my way to work this morning, late as usual, and pretty much oblivious to the beauty of nature around me. I'm not sure what, exactly, roused me from autopilot. I began to notice the green pastures sparkling with dew, I spied a doe and her fawn calmly munching on breakfast, two rabbits played chase along the side of the road. It made me realize what I take for granted every day, even grumble about a lot of the time. Living in a small town, there's just not a lot around. We don't have a Starbucks, we don't have a Wal Mart, we don't even have a movie theater. Those things aren't that far away but it's an inconvenience we abide to live in a rural community. We forget sometimes about the pressures and traffic and insanity a big city emanates and long for the perfect lives we see portrayed on television; where friends share a cool apartment on the fringe of Central Park, where people walk to work from their apartment around the corner, where WiFi is common and not a freak accident. We begrudge the cities their cost effective public transportation, the trendy little clubs downtown, heck the fact that there IS a downtown. I imagine some of the people that live in the big cities long for some of the peace and solitude we enjoy in my little square of the earth. So, my point for this piece is for you to notice and enjoy one thing every day that you take for granted. Appreciate it, hold on to and savor one thing every day. We all need a little reminder sometimes to remember that we are blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Personal Blogs -  Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine Blogarama - The Blog Directory