People Checked out This Gnarley Blog Life or Something Like It: Mr. McGregor's Garden...

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mr. McGregor's Garden...

Originally Posted Wednesday, March 08, 2006

If anyone's ever read any of Beatrix Potter's stories of Peter Rabbit and the like, then you know about Mr. McGregor's garden. This year (oh my achin' back already) I'm going to be Mr. McGregor. I'm not going to like set traps and chase rabbits or anything, but I am going to plant a garden. With some help.

At first, I was just going to plant some tomatoes. From there it's sort of taken on a life of it's own. Now it's going to be peas, green beans, bell pepper, onion and tomatoes. Oh, and maybe broccoli in the fall. I guess that's not much considering all that Mr. McGregor had to offer. But it's A LOT for a newbie like myself. I began hoeing a small place for the tomatoes a couple of days ago and only got the perimeter done before I collapsed from sheer exhaustion. Thank God for the miracle invention of a tiller. I, myself, don't have one. But my sister-in-law does and has offered to share, the tiller and the responsibility. Hence the growth of the garden. She's got the peas and green beans and I've got the onion and tomatoes, and we're sharing the bell peppers. I certainly hope there's enough room in my yard.

And another upside to all the rewards we'll get is that there will be that much less to mow. Yipee!!! I really don't mind mowing too much. It's only the damn ants that piss me off. In MY yard, I don't know about yours, but it seems like you take two steps and you're in another ant mound. Stupid poison only makes them stronger I think. Those little bastards hurt!

I'm actually really excited about it. So, it's going to be hard work and a commitment. I know that. I NEED a little hard work. Maybe I'll lose some weight. Hey, you never know. Miracles do happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Personal Blogs -  Blog Catalog Blog Directory Blog Directory & Search engine Blogarama - The Blog Directory